Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910

Thread: War Flags

Rhodesian Army flag (1960s - 1970)

Rhodesian Army flag (early 1970s)

Rhodesian Army flag (late 1970s - 1980)

The world's an oppressive place to live through -yet with a little pride it's worth it

Default Greek Army Unit & School Flags

Army General Staff
    The inscription reads:
    "Eleutheron to Eupsychon-Freedom consists in Valor".
    "Take them as your examples; learn from them that happiness consists in freedom and freedom in valor; and never stand aside from the perils of war".
    From a speech delivered by Pericles in the winter of 431 bC, on the occasion of a public funeral given in Athens, to those who had fallen in the first campaign on the Peloponnesian War (431-404 bC) [Thucydides, the Peloponnesian War]

1st Army
    The inscription reads:
    "Est'an ten auten odon ie-As long as the sun holds the course".
    "Now carry this answer back to Mardonius from the Athenians, that as long as the sun holds the course by which it now goes, we will make no agreement with Xerxes. We will fight against him without ceasing, trusting in the aid of the gods and the heroes whom he has disregarded and burnt their houses and their adornments"
    Before the battle of Plataea (479 bC), Mardonius tried to divide the Greeks by proposing to the Athenians a peace on favorable terms. That was the Athenian answer [Herodotus, the Histories]

A' Corps
    "When Xerxes wrote "send the arms" Leonidas wrote back: "Come and get them".
    The above messages were exchanged on the eve of the Thermopylae battle (August of 480 bC) between the Persian King Xerxes commanding an army of 300,000 men and the Spartan King Leonidas, who was defending the Thermopylae pass with a force of 300 Spartans and 7,000 allies from other Hellenic States

B' Corps-Greek Rapid Reaction Force
    "Either bring this shield back as victor or let thou be brought dead on this". This is what the Spartan women said, when their sons departed for war

C' Corps
    Inscription: "Ou phesometha tes zoes emon-We Shall Not Spare Our Lives".
    "To give you the City is neither my right nor any other's of its inhabitants; for, by a common decision, all of us prefer to die and we shall not spare our lives".
    The answer given by the last Byzantine Emperor Constantine XI Palaeologus in May 1453, to Mehmet II, during the siege of Constantinople.

D' Corps
    Inscription: "To xiphe ton desmon lelysthae-with his sword the yoke had been loosened"
    "When Alexander arrived at Gordium, he was seized with an ardent desire to go up into the citadel, which contained the palace of Gordius and his son Midas. He was also desirous of seeing the wagon of Gordius and the cord of the yoke of this wagon. The cord was made of cornel bark, and neither end nor beginning to it could be seen. It is said by some that when Alexander could find out no way to loosen the cord and yet was unwilling to allow it to remain unloosened, lest this should exercise some disturbing influence upon the multitude, he struck it with his sword and cutting it through, said that it had been loosened" [Arrian, Campaigns of Alexander]

ASDEN-Military High Command of Greek islands
    "Your advice is to obey a flying bird. What is a bird to me? I care nothing for birds; Whether they fly east to the rising sun, or whether they fly west to the darksome gloom. We had better obey the counsels of Zeus Almighty, Who rules over mortals and immortals both. One is the best omen: To defend the Motherland"
    This was the answer given by Hector to the diviner Polydamas who, after having had examined a flying bird, advised him to postpone the attack in the last days of the Trojan War, because the omen was no good.
    [Homer's Iliad]

I Infantry Division
    War cry of the Evzones at the beginning of the assault. Just after the command "By bayonet, go on" is given, the soldiers cried out:
    AERA (Wind)
    (The famous Tsaroukhi boot of the Evzones & the bayonet is the emblem of I ID)

IV Infantry Division
    This was the oath taken by few Greeks on the 25th of March 1821, at the convent of Aghia Lavra, when they decided to liberate their country or die.
    This oath became the motto of the nation during the War of Independence (1821-1828) and it is the Greek national motto today

VI Infantry Division
    Inscription: "O Epimenon Nika-He who Persists, Conquers" [Ancient Greek proverb]

VIII Infantry Division
    (The alleged answer given by the Greek PM Ioannis Metaxas to the Italian Ambassador Emmanuele Grazi, when the latter presented the Italian ultimatum, early in the morning of the 28th of October 1940. The PM's real answer was in French "Alors, c'est la guerre-well, this means war")

XI Infantry Division
    Inscription: "Monos kae meta pollon-By Myself and with the help of Others"
    [From the Oath of the ancient Athenian hoplite:
    "I shall not bring dishonour on my sacred arms nor will I abandon my comrade wherever I shall be stationed;
    I shall defend the rights of Gods and men by myself and with the help of others;
    I shall never bring disgrace on this our City by an act of dishonesty or cowardice.
    I shall fight for the ideals and Sacred Things of the City both alone and with many.
    I shall revere and obey the City's laws, and shall do my best
    to incite a like reverence and respect in those above me
    who are ****e to annul them or set them at naught.
    I shall strive increasingly to quicken the public's sense of civic duty.
    Thus in all these ways I shall transmit this City, not only not less,
    but greater and more beautiful than it was transmitted to us.
    I shall believe in the gods of my country;
    I shall revere my City's sacred institutions.
    Gods are my witnesses:
    Agravlos, Enyalios, Aris, Zeus, Thallo, Aphxo, Hegemone"]

II Mechanized Infantry Division
    Inscription: "Est an kae es Perii-As long as a single one remains Alive"
    "You must know this, if you happened not to know it already: As long as a single Athenian remains alive, we shall not negotiate with Xerxes"
    The above answer was given by the Athenians early in the spring of 479 bC, to a Spartan delegation. Xerxes, after his defeat at Salamis (September 480 bC), tried to divide the Greeks by proposing to the Athenians a peace treaty. The Spartans, feared lest the Athenians should be allured by the favorable terms by Xerxes, sent a delegation to Athens to prevent an agreement with Xerxes [Herodotus, the Histories]

XII Mechanized Infantry Division
    Inscription: "Eos an ton eteron propesen-Until either of them is dead"
    "Their behavior resembled those noble birds (the *****) that are struggling to death. For those, very often, although they have lost their feathers by their inability to knock down each other, they persist with courage, not caring for their wounds, and continue to fight until either of them is dead" [Polybius, the Histories]

XVI Mechanized Infantry Division
    Inscription: "Pantes autoproaeretos apothanoumen-All of us prefer to die"
    "To give you the City is neither my right nor any other's of its inhabitants; for, by a common decision, all of us prefer to die and we shall not spare our lives".
    The answer given by the last Byzantine Emperor Constantine XI Palaeologus in May 1453, to Mehmet II, during the siege of Constantinople

XX Armored Division
    "Among these heroic Lacedaemonians and Thespians, the greatest hero of all is said to have been the Spartan Dianeces. Before they make contact with the Persians, Dianeces is reported to have delivered himself of an epigram, upon being informed by a Trachinian that when the barbarians discharge their arrows the sun was hidden, so great were their numbers. Far from being dismayed at this intelligence, Dianeces expressed his contempt for the numbers of the Persian army by declaring that the Trachinian was bringing them excellent news if the Persians were going to be so obliging as to hide the sun in order that the Greeks might be able to fight them under shade and not in glare"

MERYP-The Logistics Division
    Inscription: "Allees Aristoe Apanton-Fighting together, they are the best Soldiers in the World"
    "The Spartans, when they fight singly, they are as good as any, but when they fight together they are the best soldiers in the World"
    [Herodotus, the Histories]

3rd Mechanized Brigade
    Inscription: "Anaphaereton Hoplon Arete-Merit is an inalienable Weapon" (top)
    [Antisthenes, Diogenes Laertius]
    "Rimini" (bottom)
    On the 21st of September 1944, the 3rd Greek Brigade was the first allied unit liberated the town of Rimini, Italy. 1st Lieutenant Constantine Gerakinis (CO of 1st Company) & 1st Lt Georgios Beliyannis (CO of 3rd Company), were the first allied Officers entered Rimini. The Greek flags that were flying from the Town Hall and other prominent mastheads signalled a success won by 13 days of rugged fighting (The Battle of Gothic Line-Die Gotische Linie) at a cost of 128 Greeks.

7th Mechanized Brigade
    [From the Oath of the ancient Athenian hoplite]

30th Mechanized Brigade

31st Mechanized Brigade
    Inscription: "Ton kopionton oe stephanoe-To those who labored belong the Crowns"
    [Emperor Isaakios Komnenos]

33rd Mechanized Brigade
    Inscription: "Aniketon aptetae oud Hades-The invincible are untouched by Death"
    [Parmenio the Macedon on Alexander the Great]

34th Mechanized Brigade
    [Plutarch, the Parallel Lives-Life of Alexander']

37th Mechanized Brigade
    Inscription: "Amyno de yper ieron kae osion-I shall fight for the ideals and Sacred Things"

50th Mechanized Brigade
    Inscription: "Archen tou Nikan to Tharren-Courage is the Beginning of Victory"
    ""But you Sir, Zeus the son of Saturn, has enriched you by halves. He has given you the sceptre with honor above all others, but courage he has not given you, and that is the beginning of Victory"
    King Agamemnon, Commander in Chief of the Greek Forces in the Trojan War, in a moment of loss of courage after a series of misfortunes of the Greeks, recommended to stop fighting and withdraw.
    Diomedes reprimands him, as above [Homer's Iliad]

5th Infantry Brigade
    From a conversation between Xerxes and Demaratus in the summer of 480 bC during the Persian invasion to Greece. Xerxes could not understand how an army of free men, not "driven by the compulsion of the lash" -according to his own words- would stand to fight with superior numbers and laughed at Demaratus' answer. Two months later at Thermopylae, Xerxes found that Demaratus was right:
    -Xerxes, King of Persia: "How could resistance be offered to an army as strong as mine by a thousand, or ten thousand, or fifty thousand troops who were one and all of them free?"
    -Demaratus, King of Sparta: "Though they (the Spartans) are free, their freedom is not absolute. They too serve a master whose name is Law; and they fear this master a great deal more than Your Majesty's subjects fear Your Majesty. At any rate, they never fail to carry out whatever orders this master may give them, and his orders are always the same. The troops are forbidden to retreat in the face of the enemy, however great his numerical superiority, their orders are to remain at their posts and there, conquer or die"
    [Herodotus, the Histories]

9th Infantry Brigade
    Inscription: "E kalos Zen e kalos Tethnekenae-Either Live in Dignity or Die in Glory"
    "I would despise any man who is lulled by vain hopes; for the noble character either live in dignity or die in glory"
    [Sophocles, Ajax]

10th Infantry Brigade
    The motto of the Acritan troops, the border guards of the Byzantine Empire

15th Infantry Brigade
    Inscription: "Kae outos o Arithmos Ikanos-Even This Number is Enough"
    When someone told him: "Leonidas! How are you going with so few to risk with so many"? he said: "If you think That I am going to fight by numbers, then the whole of Greece would be insufficient, for she is only a small part of the numbers of the Persians, but if I am going to fight by valor, then even this number is enough"
    [Plutarch, Sayings of the Spartans (Apophthegmata Laconica)-Leonidas of Anaxandridas]

71st Airborne Brigade
    "Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters. Who maketh the clouds his chariot. Who walketh upon the wings of the wind"
    [103rd David's Psalm]

XXI Armored Brigade
    "The Spartans used to ask about the enemy not how many they are, but where they are"
    [Plutarch, Sayings of the Spartans (Apophthegmata Laconica)-Agis of Anaxandridas]

XXII Armored Brigade
    According to legend, Constantine the Great adopted this as a motto after his vision of a cross on the sky just before the Battle of Milvian Bridge against Maxentius in the year 312 a.D

13th Special Operations Command

32nd Marine Brigade
    The ancient Greek mythical ship Argo is the emblem of the Marines, which is considered to be the first ship ever used for landing operation (Jason & his crew landed on the Colchis shore to capture the golden fleece).
    Goddess Athena encourages the Greek troops to keep lay siege to Troy: "Courage is needed, everything will change tomorrow"
    [Homer's Iliad]

1st Army Aviation Brigade
    Inscription: "Ou Thaske Zalos Eleutherias-The Zeal for Liberty never fades"
    This was written on the tombstone of King Leonidas of Sparta by Antiphilus of Byzantium

Army Academy
    Inscription: "Archesthae Mathon Archen Epistese-If you learn to be Ruled you shall know to Rule"
    [Solo the Athenian]

Army NCO School
    Inscription: "Apanton tinioteron Patris-One's Own Motherland is Most Precious"
    "One's own Motherland is something more precious than father and mother and all ancestors besides, something more reverend, more holy and of greater value, as the Gods judge, and any men that have sense"
    [Plato, Crito]

Infantry School

Armored Cavalry School
    Inscription: "Opou e Doxa kae to Kathekon-Wherever Glory and Duty Call"

Artillery School

School of Engineers
    The battering ram of the ancient Greeks. Inscription: "Am Epos Am Ergon-No Sooner Said Than Done"

Army Aviation School
    Inscription: "Toes Tolmosin e Tyche-Fortune is the Companion of the Bold"
    [Thucydides, the Peloponnesian War]

Technical School
    Inscription: "Thelen esti Dybasthae-Where there is a Will there is a Way"

Support & Transportation School
    [Cheilon]

Ordnance School
    Inscription: "Arche emisy Pantos-Beginning is Half of the Whole"
    [Aristotle, Diogenes Laertius]

First Serbian Uprise-!807

WW1 Gift for Serbian army unit-city of Toluse(Fr)

Serbian Legion ww1

USA volunteers ww1 (1917)

Russian volunteers (Serbo-Turkish war)

Italian volunteers (Serbo-Turkish war)